Sunday, October 23, 2011

Cancer not for Sissies!

So today is day two of helping my sister-in-law through one week of her 5 week journey of receiving chemo and radiation for lung cancer.   One cannot imagine your life becoming interrupted with a life changing event, if you have never experienced one.

It started with a cough that never went away, which finally lead to a chest x-ray which lead to a Cat-Scan, Pet Scan, endless blood tests, and finally a diagnoses.

I swore when my daughter became a survivor of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma I would make a healthy liffestyle change.  Do we really have to be handed a major life challenge to decide to make a change?  Apparently I thought so, I'm no different than anyone.  It wouldn't happen to me and the treadmill of wrong foods wouldn't betray me either. 

Kate has been through the wringer.  She has lost about 20 lbs and only pudding, water, sherbet, soda, and ice cream taste good.  She is so fidgety she can't sit still and can barely sleep.  Hair loss is the least of her worries.  For a gal that used to be in the fashion industry, going to the drug store bald today wasn't even a second thought!

Can't say enought about how she loves her oncologist and the nurses around her, here at Stanford Medical.  They have been sent from heaven and truly know their calling.

Hope everyone has a good week, I'll be checking in again as her cancer journey continues until the 28th.

Cher

No comments:

Post a Comment